I love matcha ice cream, pair it with macaron..it is wonderful!!
So..since I bake a lot of macarons, I will have a lot of stock of egg yolks. I have made creme brulee with them and they are wonderful! But today, I will make matcha ice cream! I saw this recipe on one of my favorites blogs: Evan’s Kitchen Rambling. The original recipe is from “The perfect scoop” by David Lebovitz. I was so excited when I read the recipe because I don’t need to have an ice cream machine, and it is super easy! I have all the ingredients in my fridge and I just bought matcha powder from Seoul market 2 weeks ago, so I am set to go! Here is the recipe:
Matcha Ice Cream
1 cup milk
150 g sugar
500 ml whipping cream
pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks
4 tsp mactha powder
- Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan
- pour heavy cream into a large bowl and whisk together with matcha powder. Set a strainer on top
- In another bowl, whisk together egg yolks and slowly pour in the warmed milk mixture while whisking constantly. Put the mixture back to the saucepan
- Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scrapping the bottom as you stir, until mixture thickens and coat the back of the spoon. Clip on candy thermometer, make sure it reads 185°F
- Pour custard through the strainer into the ice cream, then whisk vigorously until custard is foamy. Stir until cool over an ice bath
- Place the mixture in a shallow metal pan (I use bread pan) and freeze, whisking every couple of hours until frozen and creamy.